Monday, May 7, 2012

Girls who follow the rules just don't have fun....

‎"Well-behaved women seldom make history.” 
           
             ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich


I have a good friend who posted this on facebook this morning. While I adore this friend, I categorically disagree. My whole life I feel like I have been fighting this particular stereo type.

Do women who mis-behave make history? sure. I suppose you could say many women through out time have made their case by " mis-behaving"..... but really are they misbehaving or are they simply demanding whats right??( let me present evidence Item A: Rosa Parks) And in many cases they lied to make a point, or was it fear? or both? or divinely-lead mixed in with the other two? ( evidence B: Queen Ester of the Bible)

This might sound mean But those who have made history by what I deem as truly misbehaving are those who use their bodies or their ideas to alter how we socially interact with each other. In most of these cases I see woman who misbehave AS the reason women get a bad rap, I mean come on!!  if you have it all? why ruin it for the rest of us? (there could be examples of this anywhere from Delila to Marilyn Monroe to Brittney Spears) these women prey on the weakness of men to get what they want. whether its money or fame, doesn't matter, they do what it takes. Whats worse, they make it seem acceptable to act this way, our society even has begun to look to these actions as a truly beautiful and well rounded woman. Why must we all be a fake version of our self, try to fight, claw, connive our way into history?

I say we don't. I say women...we are better then that!

 Do I have worldly goals and dreams? Sure, this ten pounds I just gained is nagging me every bite I eat( thanks mis-behaved Ladies of the past) Heck, this blond is not my natural color and I don't wear my very comfy pink robe around town because that just wouldn't be "fashionable". BUT, I know who I am and what the Lord expects of me. 

I suppose I am thankful to keep fighting this stereo type, because that means I have been exposed to TRULY great women. women who range from Eve in the garden , " mis-behaving" but doing so for RIGHTEOUS reasons. women like church leaders who give everything to the women they serve for no reward. If you want to get political, look at the first ladies of every white house, mis-behaving? I think not. In fact you find that in almost every instance it is the complete opposite. I am pretty sure they have made a difference in our countries history..

 A women makes her mark on history by proving history its self wrong, by being strong enough to fight the stero- types. Most importantly she makes history by proving that in "doing the right thing" we all are better. I plan on making my mark in history, it may seem a small foot print in the pages of time, but I want to be remembered for being making a BIG differences for my family and their families to come..... and I have no intentions of " mis-behaving."

2 comments:

Carianne said...

Ohhh you're so funny! But, I will say... when I saw that quote, I was bummed as well. We don't have to believe that negative attention is positive. Unfotunately society believes different. So sad we can't be independent thinkers..

Britt said...

Amen. This quote bugs me too.