Thursday, December 27, 2012

Good Cinderella Bad Cinderella

I mentioned about two weeks ago my fascination with Cinderella.  I believe we all have a bit of a Cinderella Issue in our lives. You know, the issue where you feel like you are meant for more in life and at least for right now you are being forced to do things you don't want to. Working to many hours, scrubbing to many messes you didn't make, dealing with people who are rude and inconsiderate of your own feelings, these are all things none of us enjoy doing or dealing with. I find myself often thinking the future must be better then my current situation.

Today as I was reading my scriptures, I was reminded of something which I had forgotten, or maybe I just understood it differently this time around.  In Alma chapter 31 there is a story of a people called Zoramites, these people have become an apostate people and as they pray to God high on a stand in the middle of the room they show some of there errors in thinking, it goes like this:


Holy God, we believe that thou hast separated us from our brethren; and we do not believe in the tradition of our brethren, which was handed down to them by the childishness of their fathers; but we believe that thou hast aelected us to be thy bholychildren; and also thou hast made it known unto us that cthereshall be dno Christ.
 17 But thou art the same yesterday, today, and forever; and thou hast aelected us that we shall be saved, whilst all around us are elected to be cast by thy wrath down to hell; for the which holiness, O God, we thank thee; and we also thank thee that thou hast elected us, that we may not be led away after the foolish traditions of our brethren, which doth bbind them down to a belief of Christ, which doth lead their hearts to wander far from thee, our God.
 18 And again we thank thee, O God, that we are a chosen and a holy people. Amen.
Notice how they believe they are special? "Elected" for some thing better then those around them? Alma was Shocked when he found the people in this state of thinking and sad when he saw how hard their hearts were toward those around them.  Sometimes in our Cinderella mentality through the struggles of life do we think we are different then those around us? "meant for more"??? Do we ever look down on the poorest ( in belongings or in spirit or heck even those poor in luck or talents, lack or organizational skills, those poor in kindness, honestly or integrity- to not have an abundance of something makes that person poor in that very thing correct?)  around us because we think at some point we will not have to deal with it anymore?
I realized in my reading that I am failing in my life long goal of being like Cinderella! Cinderella never thought she was "extra special, someday meant for more, forget all you mean people-someday I will be laughing at you on the other side suckers!" The best part about her was that she was happy and confident where ever she was. Kind to all regardless of who or what they were. She understood the value of each person and animal.  When she became something more, I doubt she went around getting pay backs for all the hurt, pain, sweat and tears like in the Count of MonteCristo, she kept living life to the fullest. I would guess she even figured out how to help those who needed the help from her new better station in life. 
So who am I being day to day moment to moment? Do I have a Cinderella ideal going in my head or a Zoramite one?? I think right now I have both, but the two should not be in the same head. One is healthy and one breeds hatred and bitterness toward our fellow men. IN this Christmas season, I find myself rewiring a few thought processes....and praying I can be a bit more like the humble daughter of God I truly want to be, except I better understand that am LEARNING who that is not EXPECTING she is something extra special destined for super awesomeness....because I can't see more then a few steps ahead and the Lord sees much further. SO, I have to trust in him and keep walking with love and kindness to all around me because we are all trying to figure out our Cinderella Journey...

No comments: