Friday, February 12, 2010

grape fruit for cleaning!?!

About a year ago I was watching a episode of clean house UK. It was about a man was a living in a NASTY situation, I don't remember the circumstances, only that is was gross. The ladies came in, fixed everything and taught the man how to live a cleaner life. The main thing I remember about this show was that they used grapefruit and baking soda to clean the grossest tub I have even seen. The result was amazing, life went on and I forgot about it.
Now flash your self forward to this morning, a morning when I had my house almost where I wanted it ( including laundry!) I had a few chores to do and then off to a V-day party in livy class. Some how in a the peace that was to be today, I created madness!! It all started when Jack and I were reading...Jack was doing a great job..until Joey started screaming like crazy..it was nap time. so we sat down with a sippy cup and watched a bit of t.v only to be pounced on over and over by Angie. SHE STUNK! After half an hour of trying to get joey to bed and battling a stinky dog, I decided she needed a bath.
on to the bath.....
she is crazy and sheds like no dog I have ever seen during a bath. After joey screamed through angies bath, and I fought her the whole time...I realized I need to clean and sterilize our bathroom, and all the sudden I remembered the grapefruit! luckily, ( or not so lucky) livys teacher had given us some grapefruit earlier in the week! I have not found a single cleaner yet that has worked on the old stains in my shower, the previous owners must not have cleaned it too often for the buildup that is there.....
So I went to work. As I started the scrubbing on the shower glass door I felt a sense of pure euphoria! It was working and not only did it work- but it smelt heavenly!!! little did I know, but half an hour after that, I would be still cleaning the shower basin, the "heavenly aroma" now smelled like stinky dog grapefruit, Joey kept eating the baking soda and the dog would not leave me alone she, was trying to lick everything in sight. I ended up scrubbing my whole bathroom three times, trying each time to get rid of the pieces of grapefruit. I THINK I got them all. the smell did not stay nice, it was a huge mess, and now I need a second shower for the day...at least I really love my other bathroom, which is brand new and beautiful, I will post some pictures this next week!
anyway I would not recommend using grapefruit as a cleaner, it was fun at first but quickly turned a disaster for me. If any one knows any was to get rid of calcium and water stains on class let me know...and I also need to figure out how to get the build up off the tile the surrounds the top of my pool...any one know????

2 comments:

Carianne said...

Good to know. I read the title and was all excited to try it out, not even going there now.... and I would like to kjnow the tricks too because our shower could use it as well.

Heather said...

CLR works wonders. It removes Calcium Lime and Rust... hence CLR.