Monday, April 13, 2009

becuase I said so

Today I ask Jackson to do something. I asked him to wash his hands because they were COVERED in cake and icing, he didn't want to do it, So he asked me "why?". In that moment I really needed him to go wash his hands but he just couldn't see the reason why. So after talking a while I finally said, " sometimes you have to do things just because I said so."

I started to think about this concept. IN his mind there was nothing wrong with being dirty and spreading the filth every where around him. In my mind I could only see how it would make things so much harder for every one around him if he stayed in such a messy state. I wondered if the Lord sometimes tells us the same thing.

We are given many commandments and asked to keep them. As we learn of his ways, we often question him as to why. Our father in heaven loves us so much that most of the time he lovingly opens our heart to understanding. BUT, I wonder if sometimes he doesn't just say " sometimes you have to do things just because I said so" our Fathers vision is all encompassing, while ours is so limited. Sometimes even if he explained we would not understand, and maybe sometimes we just don't want to do what he asks of us and are trying to get out of it by asking "why?". This is what Jackson was doing this morning. He knew washing up was " work" and he just didn't see the need to work for something he didn't understand. I realized that while I definitely don't have all the answers that I think I need to be successful, its O.K! As long as I follow the Lord's commandments, and Do my best every day, I will never have to worry when he says " because I said so". I won't have to question his directions because I will have a relationship of trust and love.it will be built strong enough to follow him, even when I don't fully understand the "whys" of his directions. I will have confidence even when he says " just because I said so".

5 comments:

Carianne said...

Love this! Very deep thought you had there.. but made me think too! Thanks Boo for your awesome thoughts and stories!

Dial Family said...

THANK YOU so much for your thoughts!! I love those deep thinking moments of tying something so "everyday" with esp something so spiritual and uplifting!! Your awesome!!

Jennifer and Brad said...

We are camping at Donner Memorial State Park in Truckee. Chuck is still up in the air if he can come but the other five siblings families are going. If you are in town you should swing by.

Natalie, Jon, Emma, Grace and Seth said...

you can come try to teach that to my kids. they can't even begin to grasp that concept! ah, the lessons of childhood.

Britt said...

I love this. I am learning that there are sweet blessings that come from obeying God just because you respect Him and trust Him, not because you understand Him. I think that kind of obedience shows even greater devotion and love.

You are smart.