Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Chair

We have a chair in our home that contains many memories. My first memory of this chair is not pleasant. I remember after my Grandma Omer passed away the family moved her to this chair. I arrived just after her death and mourned her passing by the side of this chair. After my Grandpa passed away, I some how inherited this chair. For several Months Every time I would walk down stairs, I hated the chair. My memory of A lifeless loved one was so strongly connected with the thing, I didn't even want to sit in it. Obviously over time, as my pain eased, so did my dislike for the rocking chair. I have had two children since then, both have spent countless hours being rocked in this chair.
The other night after Jackson's Birthday party I rocked my sweet Joey to sleep. I could smell his sweet smell, hear his loud breathing, and felt the warmth of his tiny body. His is ever calm sweet spirit brought peace to my soul. After I laid him down, my oldest Angel came with a blanket and sat in my lap. We talked, and rocked in the chair. I ran my fingers through her thick hair and stroked her soft cheeks like I did when she was a baby. I felt my deep bond with her and couldn't help but reflect on the amazing five years she has been in my life. She also fell asleep in my arms. After I carried her back to her bed. I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for my children, but my night was not over. I went back and sat in the chair and called my little Jack over. He came with magic string blanket in tow. We talked about his birthday and all the fun he had. We rocked and cuddled because he is, and will always be my original cuddle bug. His energy and zest for life were not quieted until he feel asleep with his head rested on my chest, tucked under my chin. I could not help smiling as I watched him sleep, Little jack with the joy he finds in every thing we do, he is my child with endless hours of stories and an imagination the has no boundaries.
I realized I had been given a rare opportunity that night. I was able to love and enjoy each of my children in a way that is sometimes hard to do in this crazy life we live. its funny how in just one night I have new feelings for the chair. Now, instead of remembering the image of my Grandma whom I miss so often, I see the three angelic faces of my children. With out them I would not be even close to the person I am, they make my better, stronger and braver then I ever could be one my own. I am grateful for Friday night. I am very grateful for the chair, the chair that gave me the opportunity to rock three of the most amazing people on earth to sleep.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That was a sweet sentiment, sweet family.

Carianne said...

Boo.. awww, this almost made me cry. Grandma would be proud.., and then she mightg tell you that you missed a spot vaccuuming :) Love you.

Andra said...

When none of us wanted that chair you always said, it would be a wonderful chair to rock your children with. I always admired how you took something that was painful for all of us and turned it into a lovely memory, but thats you, BOO, thats who you are, always a teacher. I love you, thanks for sharing even though you made me cry so hard!