Thursday, July 23, 2009

what do I do?

So I wrote a few days ago about the kids wanting to build a "real" air plane, then they got there little dreams crushed! =( it was so sad- except they are at it again. this time they have excluded mike and I, apparently we are the only thing stopping them from making it.

So I go into Olivia's room and there are chains and hammers and screwdrivers and cardboard everywhere. They spent the day rummaging through our garage to find metal to make the engine. So This is all they dream about (and talk about) and I just am not sure how to help them understand with out being the dream killer again! Any ideas on this one? I have been thinking about remote control planes and maybe building one with them, but then wouldn't that further fuel the problem? I don't even know and I am a little worried about my kitchen oven since Jack asked me today how long it takes to melt down metal.....yeah, scary.

3 comments:

Natalie, Jon, Emma, Grace and Seth said...

tell him a year. maybe then he won't try it while you're not looking.

Hugs from mom said...

Dallin told me he wanted to make Eden a kitchen out of wood, by himself. My dad is amazing with wood so I asked him for advice. He said to enroll Dallin in a few of those woodworking classes at Home Depot and if he still has passion for it buy him the tools and let him have at it. It's scary to think of the mess, his potential lack of success, and the possibility he could damage something (including himself) but I felt like if I don't let him try then I may be passing up the opportunity for him to discover his future.

Ryan said his brother built his first motorcycle at 12. There had to be something he was experimenting with before that (and now he's a top industrial designer). Sometimes we have to just let them try.

Unknown said...

One of the things that we're learning with Nathan is to take the focus and expand it. Your sweet and wonderful kids are obviously obsessed with this right now, so fueling it isn't a bad thing. Take them to a plane museum and introduce them to history by showing them old war planes. Show them sites and pictures on what the Wright brothers did. Introduce math concepts by talking about the speed of sound and how fast an airplane has to go to take off. Have them study birds and what it takes for them to fly. Building models is a great idea too. Building a model will help them realize how much time and effort goes into building a plane. Maybe you could tour a Boeing plant or something. They may get bored with it after a while, or they may really take off with it. Either way, your wonderful children will have great memories of their mom who supported them in their interests.